Thursday, September 10, 2009

Southern Alberta & Big Skies

I travelled to Southern Alberta for the first time this week - with my friend Jill who is visiting.
This is the first of several postings of our road trip through Kananaskis, then following the Cowboy Trail to Waterton National Park on the Montana Border.
I am ready to move to southern Alberta - except for the wind (frequent blows of 160kph).
The landscape is stunning, the skies are stunning, the clouds are fascinating.
I fell in love the the place.
Seriously!!! if I was 30 years younger I would move to Twin Butte and work in Waterton Park or something to be in that landscape. Charley would go snaky - urban boy that he is.

We stayed at a great B&B and at night it was like being in a sensory deprivation tank. No sound...absolute silence, pitch black and millions of stars. Jill was out in the black night with a red-bulbed headlamp on her head to identify stars and constellations.
I was up at sunrise (photos of the B&B to follow in a later posting).
We saw more hawks - and they were huge hawks of various breeds - in a particular corridor of highway than I may have ever seen in total in my whole life.
The first photo shows the rain we could see that we were approaching. You can see for miles and miles.
I will post soon the photos of our 4 hour horseback ride on very narrow paths, rock strewn paths, on precipitous sides of mountains......















No comments: