Saturday, March 14, 2009






The clouds make shapes in around and on top of the mountains so that the landscape looks changed. I took a great many pictures of the mountains and the clouds but I have only posted a few.
Alberto Manguel wrote the introduction for a book of photographs by Ernie Kroeger, entitled The Great Divide. Manguel writes, " Like prairie clouds (the Rocky Mountains) course sideways, occasionally melting into the clouds......(the mountains) present...an uneasy paradox: on the one hand they are a continuous jagged line that prevents the landscape from continuing on to the distant horizon; on the other, they are the horizon itself, ever-present and always just beyond the ultimate grasp."
I would add that the mountains force your eyes up to an infinite horizon, that of the sky, creating an boundless vista that reaches to infinity. I think that is one reason I so love this landscape. Though everyone warned I might feel claustrophobic here - I find the opposite is true I can see forever...it is just up instead of in a city which is usually across a street and into buildings that block the view.
Mind you that is after a winter of predominantly blue skies and sunshine. When it is misty or snowy and the mountains disappear it is an utterly different landscape...one which seems ungrounded without the mountains.

No comments: